Várfok Gallery was founded right after the political change over in 1990 under the name Várfok 14 Műhelygaléria by Károly Szalóky, its recent owner. It can be considered as one of the first private contemporary art galleries in Hungary. A former coal cellar was transformed to an exhibition hall (later called Várfok Hall) in Várfok St. 14.
In 1996 the mother institute expanded by opening Spiritusz Gallery. The namegiving expresses a sort of continuity: the name was given by Szalóky, who has previously ran Vizivárosi Gallery under the name of Spiritusz Gallery. Initially it functioned as a typical flatgallery with an entrance hall and a 40 m² exhibition space. From 1999 to 2002 it worked as an exhibition room or a sort of salon where from time to time new exhibitions could be seen partly from Károly Szalóky’s collection and from other works deposited in Várfok Gallery. Recently it functions as a storage place.
The XO Gallery was opened in 1997. The exhibition space was originally a municipal flat, which went through elemental changes to become what it is now. With its arched, slanting walls and high-tech glass surfaces and signs XO became a specially designed spatious hall. The huge headroom, the modern lightning technique together with the gallery’s postmodern style creates a representative place for exhibitions. Although Várfok Gallery’s exhibition halls aren’t specified to show one tendency or another, XO Gallery was in the first times an exhibition hall for mainly bigger abstract works that called for special, variable lightning.


Emerging talents, fresh tendencies


Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news!

Bor TársaságHotel Castle Garden
StocekANY Biztonsági Nyomda
Kiemelt informatikai partnerünk

Read more about the activity of Várfok 14 Studio Gallery Foundation

read more
© Várfok Galéria | since 1990 | Previous webpages: 2000-2004: Várfok 1.0 | 2004-2009:    | H-1012 Budapest, Várfok St. 11. | Tel: + 36.1.2135155; + 36.30.562 2772 | galeria@varfok-galeria.hu